Sunday, January 15, 2012

Honored to be Honored

On Friday, I attended the opening day ceremonies at Cuesta College, where I was given one of four Honored Alum awards.



Not only was it wonderful to be recognized, but it felt so beautifully significant because, if not for attending Cuesta, I may have never decided to become an author.

If you look on the acknowledgements page of Thirteen Reasons Why (13 Inspirations), you'll notice the thirteenth mention says "Nancy Hurd - the reason I wrote my first book...thirteen years ago." Ms. Hurd was my Children's Literature Appreciation teacher, and it was in her class that I wrote two picture books for my final project.

That's where it all began.

Ms. Hurd nominated me for this award, and sat in the front row as I received it. So once again...Thank you!

Here I am with the other honorees during our tour of the campus. From left to right are the parents of Marin Pilloud, me, Dee Torres, and Michael Thibodeaux.


Congrats, everyone!

3 comments:

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Congratulations! And I'm sure Ms. Hurd feels honored to have inspired you. Great teachers are so amazing.

Candyland said...

Congrats, Jay! This is awesome!

Naomi Canale said...

That's so cool, Jay! The award was very shiny! :) Congrats!!